October 20, 2020, 03:34:52 PM

Author Topic: Introducing new member, i.e. myself  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Seydlitz

• DOGs
Introducing new member, i.e. myself
« on: September 02, 2014, 03:44:04 AM »
Hello, I have just joined the forum and would like to introduce myself.

Regarding the games this clan supports, I am exclusivelly a wargame red dragon player (although I played ALB, I migrated to the Red dragon as I find it much better). Heavy Red player, barely ever play NATO (hope that's not a problem for this team?!). I don't like naval side of things since I find it very spammy, and the weapon ranges are absurd (I mean, all weapon ranges in wargame are skewed, but I can live with 5 km for Buk instead of 30....but 8 km for Harpoon instead of circa 150 is just ridicilous).
Other than wargame series, I like Total War series (well...like is a bit strong...I tolerate it with all its flaws, since it is the only show in town for that particular genre), some RPGs (witcher series, Dragon age etc.), and big fan of Combat Mission series.

My nick both here and in wargame lobby is Seydlitz. I don't have Teamspeak at this moment but I will get it ASAP - it's not a financial problem, more of a technical one (I am not a very computer savy person, so I hope installation is easy...I would appreciate any advice).

I come from Croatia (so it's CET for me), and play mostly in the evenings during the week, and during weekends. English is not a problem, I may stumble my pronunciation on some words (like 'regular' and 'regularly'...that one is a bitch:)), but I understand everything.

What else...I am 33.

Gaming wise...my stats in Red Dragon are attrocius (like 30 to 80 ratio)...but honestly I am not that bad. Once you eliminate games that ended because of crashes which strangely counted as my defeat (about 10), games that were lost because of quitting teammates (20 to 30 at minimum) or games where I went up against a clan with an ad hoc team (about 10), it looks much better.

I joined because i am sick and tired of unreliable teams, ragequitters, and absolute beginners ruining everything, or clans that are well coordinated beating the crap out of my ad hoc teams. It really is not fun anymore. It's either this or quitting the game altogether. By joining a clan I hope to be able to come home after work, start Wargame and pick up a casual game with my team for an hour, maybe two. By casual I mean non pre-scheduled games, not casual in the sense I play casually or half-cocked...whenever I do play, I play my little heart out.... :)
I am fairly limited with time so I cannot commit to 'be here at XY time tomorrow or else you're out of the team' type schedule. Instead I hope for a 'friendly neighbourhood bar' type setting...like Cheers...I can come in, say hi to regulars and pick up a random game for fun.

I would grade myself as an average player, with some definitive strenghts and weaknesses. I am careful and methodical (strenght) but sometimes too passive (weakness). I prefer setting up defensive lines and carefully probing for openings, or better yet securing my sector and then supporting more aggressive teammates. I usually wait to accumulate a lot of firepower before going on the offensive myself (hence, the passive part), but because of the nature of non-clan based teams, by that stage the game is already over since people either left or collapsed utterly. Going up against clearly well coordinated teams that pick a spot and then bull rush it doesn't help either. I am eager to learn from more experienced player.   

I hope we can play sometimes.

Regards,
sey
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:15:56 AM by Seydlitz »

Offline Seydlitz

• DOGs
Re: Introducing new member, i.e. myself
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 06:07:43 AM »
OK I checked out the TeamSpeak webpage and I must confess I can't figure it out. What exactly am I supposed to get? How does it work? Is there a 'How to' tutorial somewhere that i can read?

Offline Morbius

• DOGs
  • Sleep is for the weak...
    • Steam Profile
    • Devious Old Gamers
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:03:52 AM »
Welcome aboard man.

Teamspeak is fairly easy. You go to the download page, download it, then install it. The install process will step you through setting it up.

Make sure to pick an identity/nick/user name that is the same as what you use on the forums. Otherwise everyone will see you as "Teamspeak User", the default identity. You can change it in Settings / Identities.

In the settings/options on the left side are some tabs. Select capture. On that page there is a button to test teamspeak. Use that to see exactly what it is that others hear when you talk. Adjust your mic volume up or down to make sure its not too low (can't hear you), and not too high (getting feedback).

You will want to use a Push To Talk button. Most people probably use Caps Lock. Its by the left hand and not used by games very often. The right alt key is another option. If you needed alt within a game, you'd most likely use it with the left hand (as the right hand is on the mouse). This means the right alt button is generally free (yes, teamspeak distinguishes between left and right so they won't interfere).

Offline Morbius

• DOGs
    • Steam Profile
    • Devious Old Gamers
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
On the Teamspeak download site, you'll need to get the version that matches your computer.

For instance, if you have windows, then you know you need one of the windows versions. You wouldn't be picking up mac, or linux, or whatever else they offer.

However, there are four windows versions. You don't want the server versions. You want the client. And there are only two client options.  If you have a 32 bit OS, then get the 32 bit. If you have 64 bit OS, then get that version.

Offline Seydlitz

• DOGs
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
Thank you for advice. I managed to install, but am stuck now. I will fiddle with it and hope to get it started soon.

Cheers,
sey

Offline Seydlitz

• DOGs
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:38:55 AM »
How exactly do I connect to your Teamspeak server? I need some kind of code or address I assume?

Offline Morbius

• DOGs
    • Steam Profile
    • Devious Old Gamers
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 03:12:46 PM »

Offline Morbius

• DOGs
    • Steam Profile
    • Devious Old Gamers
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »
You have permissions on TS now. I can't give them until you've connected the first time. And it appears you have.

Offline john1981uk

• DOGs
  • Living where the brunettes out number the blondes
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 05:15:11 AM »
Don't worry about limited time.  We have people who only show up on a full moon, so you're not the only one!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline Noobdelux

• DOGs
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »
People like john here